- The better the transport means in our country, the stronger our resolve of self-sufficiency and confidence will be.
- I am happy that apart from Kolkata, the friends of Hooghly, Howrah and North 24 Parganas districts are also now getting the benefit of Metro service facility.
- Today, the section, which has been inaugurated from Naopada to Dakshineswar, will reduce the distance of one-and-a-half hours to just 25-35 minutes.
- It will now be possible to reach Kolkata’s “Kavi Subhas” or “New Garia” from Dakshineswar in just one hour from Metro, while the road distance takes up to two-and-a-half hours.
- This facility will greatly help the school-college goers, employees working in offices and factories and workers.
- It will now be easier to reach the Baranagar campus of the Indian Statistical Institute and the Economics Department of the Rabindra Bharati University and University of Calcutta in particular.
- Moreover, it has become very convenient for devotees to reach the temples of Maa Kali in Kalighat and Dakshineswar.
- Friends, Kolkata Metro had the distinction of being the country’s first Metro decades ago. But the modern incarnation and expansion of this Metro has started only in the last few years.
- And, I am happy that there is a vivid impression of Made in India whatever is being constructed in India today, whether it is the Metro or the railway system.
- Large quantities of material and technology being used from the laying of tracks to modern locomotives and coaches of trains are now indigenous.
- It has also increased the speed of our work, improved quality, reduced the cost, and the speed of trains is also increasing.
- Friends, West Bengal has been an important centre of self-sufficiency in the country and there is immense potential for trade from here to the North East and with our neighbouring countries.
- In view of this, serious efforts are being made to empower the railway network in the last few years.
- For example, the Sivoke-Rangpo New Line will connect the state of Sikkim with West Bengal for the first time through rail network.
- Trains are running from Kolkata to Bangladesh. Recently, the rail line from Haldibari to Indo-Bangladesh border has been commissioned.
- During the last six years, a number of over bridges and under bridges have been taken up in West Bengal.