- It gives me great pleasure to be with you as you mark the 33rd Convocation of this University when you are earning degrees and diplomas in various Medical, Dental, AYUSH and Paramedical disciplines.
- I have been told that more than 21 thousand candidates are being conferred with the degrees and diplomas today.
- But there was one fact I want to specially mention. The numbers indicate that around 30% are men and 70% are women.
- As I congratulate all the graduates, I also convey my special appreciation to the women candidates.
- It is always special to see women leading from the front in any field. When this happens it is a moment of pride and a moment of joy.
- Friends, The success of you all and this institution would have made the great MGR very happy. His governance was full of compassion towards the poor.
- The subjects of healthcare, education and empowerment of women were dear to him. A few years ago, I had been to Sri Lanka, where MGR was born.
- India is honoured to be working for our Tamil sisters and brothers in Sri Lanka in the health sector.
- A free ambulance service financed by India is being widely used by the Tamil community. I can never forget the inauguration ceremony of hospital at Dickoya.
- This is a modern hospital that will help many. These efforts in healthcare, and that too for the Tamil community would have made MGR very happy.
- Student Friends, This is the time when you will transition from one important phase of your life to another.
- This is the time when you will transition from learning to healing. This is the time when you will transition from earning marks in your exams to making a mark in society.
- Friends, The COVID-19 pandemic was a completely unexpected occurrence for the world. There was no pre-set formula for anything.
- In such a time, India has not only made a new path but also helped others walk with it. India has among the lowest death rates.
- Recovery rates are high. India is producing medicines for the world and making vaccines for the world.
- You are graduating at a time when there is great appreciation & respect for Indian medical professionals, scientists and pharma professionals.
- Overall, the Indian health ecosystem is being seen with new eyes, new respect and new credibility.
- However, this also means that the world will have greater expectations from you, which is a responsibility on your young and strong shoulders.